Thursday, August 25, 2011

Who cares if you know the Bible?

     A few months ago my family went to Conner Prairie in Indiana.  Conner Prairie is one of those places that recreates a time period such as the 1830's.  I really felt like you went back in a time machine.  While we were there we went to the Blacksmith's shop.  He was creating something out of metal and was conversing with us.  He asked my 9 year old son if he knew what were the ingredients to steel were. Of course my son knew the answer.  I loved what the Blacksmith had to say next.  He said "That is great that you know that, but I hope your cup isn't already filled up."  After a pause and strange looks from us, he said, "When your cup is all filled up that means that you already know everything and no one can pour into your cup and teach you anything.  I have decided that my cup will never be filled.  I want to learn every chance I get."
     You don't have to go very far on the Internet before you run into a "know-it-all."  Let's face it, these kind of people drive everyone crazy.  Why?  Because their cup is full and no one can pour into their life.  1 Corinthians 8 (the Message) says "knowing isn't everything.  If it becomes everything, some people end up as know-it-alls who treat others as know-nothings.  Real knowledge isn't that insensitive."
     Have you ever been a part of a Bible study or an old school Sunday school class where it seems like the point of the class is for everyone to prove to everyone else how much they know about the Bible?  I don't last long in places like that, because it either feeds my own know-it-all spirit or I am appalled at everyone else's know-it-all spirit.
     When Jesus was on this earth he had a tremendous amount of patience for "know nothings", but very little patience for "know-it-alls."  His attitude was basically this, "I really don't care if you know the Bible, if you are not willing to follow it."      
     I leave you today with 1 Corinthians 8:1 (NIV) "we know that 'we all possess knowledge.'  But knowledge puffs up while love builds up."  I have made a commitment that I will no longer read God's word to get puffed up but to get built up so I can build others up.  That is the purpose of this blog.  I invite you to wrestle with the truth of Scripture with me.
     So here are today's questions: (Feel free to leave a comment with your answer)
        Do you ever feel like your "spiritual activities" (e.g. church attendance, Bible reading)  leaves you feeling puffed up or built up? 
        How do we practically keep our "glass from becoming full?"  

No comments:

Post a Comment