Wednesday, August 10, 2011

I hate all this silly religion

     I was recently sucked into a facebook thread created by a former college friend of mine.  My friend was stating how she felt out of place at bible college.  It was interesting to see how many other former students echoed her thoughts and feelings. The common thread of the conversation was the lack of connection with others and the legalistic spirit which seemed to hang over the place.  As I read the hundreds of comments, I was amazed at how many people felt just like I did when I was there: completely out of place and alone.  What happened next on the thread was intriguing. A former student started lambasting everyone else for feeling this way.  He was throwing out all these high and mighty Christian clichés.   The irony is that he was proving everyone else's point of how they felt at CBC.
     What I read in God's word that day struck me as so profound. Psalm 31:6 (the Message) "I hate all this silly religion."   Religion is being totally stuck in the Truth side of this tension.  That is what I saw from this guy on facebook today.  It was all about his knowledge and his ability to prove to everyone else that he was "right."  That is why I echo the words of David.  Religion really is silly.  It is all about us.  But I love the fact that we don't have to live there. Listen to what David says next "but you, God, I trust.  I'm leaping and singing in the circle of your love;" This is where I want to live . . . leaping and singing in the circle of God's love.  A place where it isn't about me, but about Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment