Thursday, August 11, 2011

But how will you know if your sexually compatible?

     I don't know who was the first person to coin this phrase but it sure does seem to get repeated a lot.  It appears to be the main logic I hear as to why someone should have sex before they get married. My response to this statement goes as follows: after a good laugh I say "If you are a man marrying a women, trust me your sexually compatible!"  The lies we tell ourselves to be able to do what we want sound really silly when we hear other people say them.  Such as: "It doesn't hurt to look" or in the words of the great philosopher of our time, Lady Gaga, "I was born this way!"  
     What I was reading today gives us great insight into what God says about this issue.  1 Corinthians 7:3 (the Message) "Sexual drives are strong, but marriage is strong enough to contain them and provide for a balanced and fulfilling sexual life in a world of sexual disorder."
     I don't know about you but ever since I hit puberty, following God's plan for sexuality has felt like a tall order.  God's plan says sexual fulfilment comes from one place: your husband/wife.  Our struggle is that everywhere we look "in a world of sexual disorder" there is an opportunity for us to find our sexual fulfilment some place else. 
     Let me pass along a thought from a Pastor friend of mine, Chilly Chilton.  "Lack of margin in our life is not only a lack of discipline but a lack of faith."  
    When we are tempted to lust or pursue sex outside of marriage, it is definitely a discipline issue, but it is also a faith issue.  The faith issue comes down to how we answer this: "Can God be trusted?"
    Before I was married I decided to save sex for marriage because I genuinely believed that God's word could be trusted and that I would find the greatest sexual fulfilment in his plan.  What I have found through 13 years of marriage to an absolutely breathtakingly beautiful woman, is that I still have to answer the same question: "Can God be trusted?"  When I am tempted to look somewhere else for sexual fulfiment, I am saying to God, "I don't trust you."
    I want to live a life that consistently says "God I trust you." I challenge you to do the same.      

No comments:

Post a Comment