Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Will anyone remember me when I am dead?

     On some level I think that we all long for immortality.  That is why we take vitamins, exercise, and do crazy diets.  We all want to live forever.  We all want to make an impact on our world.  We want to make a difference.  Why else would we recycle, drive a Prius, or put eco-friendly light bulbs in our house?  We want to make the world a "better place."  We all long to be remembered when we are gone.  We all long for significance.
     The adults among us have probably long since given up on teenage dreams of success such as being a professional athlete, becoming the next american idol, or President of the United States, but we all still long for significance.
     Psalm 112:9 (NLT) says, "They share freely and give generously to those in need.  Their good deeds will be remembered forever.  They will have influence and honor."
     My family had multiple opportunities to give generously today.  I was able to give a stranded friend a ride, my wife was able to bless a family who was in desperate need, and my youth group was able to bless a missionary who longs to get back on the mission field.  Every time I am presented with an opportunity such as this my selfish nature is tempted to hold on tightly to what I have.  With each opportunity the Holy Spirit reminded me of this truth; "good deeds will be remembered forever."
     I cannot tell you who the last superbowl champion was or who was the last american idol, but I certainly can tell you about people who blessed Dianne and I when we were in desperate need.  That is why we give generously.  Not because we are such great people, but because someone blessed us in our time of need.  Also because I am convinced that God's word is true.  That those who give generously will be remembered forever.  I want to be remembered after I am gone as someone who approached God with open hands not clenched fists.        

No comments:

Post a Comment