Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The painful "Thank You"

     I have been taught by my parents that when anyone does anything for you, you always say "Thank You."  So saying "Thank You" comes naturally to me.  It is something I am trying so hard to train my children to do, but what I realize about humanity is that it is often difficult for us to be grateful.
     We have this inborn tendency to focus on what we don't have instead of on what we do.  Psalm 50:23 says "But giving thanks is a sacrifice that truly honors me."  I find it interesting that he refers to giving thanks as a sacrifice. How is giving thanks a sacrifice?  One of the definitions of sacrifice is "surrender of something for the sake of something else."  What am I surrendering when I give thanks?  I am giving up striving for something else.  I am giving up complaining about what I don't have.  I am giving up arguing with God about my current station in life.
     When I surrender my striving, complaining, and arguing through the sacrifice of giving thanks, God gives me something so much greater in return.  He gives me contentment!  No longer do I stand on this mountain of blessings God has giving me and complain that my mountain isn't more like that guy's over there.  Through the sacrifice of giving thanks, I can stand on my mountain of blessings look up to heaven and give glory to my creator.
     I get the privilege of going on a missions trip to El Salvador at the end of next month.  I can't wait because every time I go to another country to give of myself, I always feel like I receive more than I give away.  Every time I leave the United States I realize that it is the greatest country on earth.  I also realize how obnoxiously wealthy I am.  Final thing that always blows me away about missions trips is that I often find that the believers there have more joy and contentment than I do.  They obviously have learned this sacrifice of giving thanks.
     I leave you today with these challenging questions:
       In what areas of your life do you find yourself focusing on what you don't have instead of on what you do?
       How could you pause today and give God honor through a sacrifice of giving thanks?         

No comments:

Post a Comment