Friday, September 11, 2015

Being a Parent Is Such a Pain!



I thought I was watching my wife die! I had never seen any human being in such pain!  It had gone on for hours, but then we heard the words that somehow made the pain seem worth it, “It’s a boy!”

That was over 13 years ago, and for some crazy reason we decided to endure that same pain again and again by having two more children.  

I wish I could tell you that after leaving the hospital that the pain goes away, but it doesn’t.  The pain just changes to sleepless nights, diaper changes, and late-night feedings.  When they can walk, the pain changes to constantly chasing a toddler around.  You have to make sure they don’t stick something in an electrical socket, run into sharp furniture or drink out of the toilet!

When they start school the pain changes to HOMEWORK!  I really believe that parents are the most tragic victim of this teacher inflicted torture device!  My third grade daughter is crying because she doesn’t understand how to do her math.  I, her 39 year old father, am also crying because I can’t figure out how to do basic addition and subtraction is this new-fangled 23 step method known as “Common Core!”

Without a doubt, the most painful part of any day, is getting them ready for school!  I feel like getting three kids ready for school as about as easy as achieving a peace agreement in the Middle East!  Parents deserve a Medal of Honor each day that they succeed in this arduous task!

As I shared at the beginning, there was something miraculous about holding each one of our newborn babies.  The pain didn’t matter anymore!  Every time my wife held one of our babies she would always say, “Can’t we have just one more?”

Whenever I would come home from work and my son would run into my arms screaming “Daddy’s home,” the pain of raising toddlers didn’t matter anymore. Whenever one of my daughters would look up at me with those gorgeous brown eyes and say “I love you Daddy,” the pain didn’t matter anymore!        

I remember being a teenager and having arguments with my dad.  He would often make the statement “Son, when you have kids of your own, you will understand.”  As a teenager I thought that was such a dumb statement, but he was totally right.  I now understand what a struggle it is to be a parent!  

I encourage every parent reading this that THE PAIN IS WORTH IT!

Your children are worth every sacrifice that you have ever made or will make for them!

Psalm 127:3 says “Children are a gift from the LORD; they are a reward from him.”

Sometimes in the midst of the pain it is easy to forget this! 

No comments:

Post a Comment