Thursday, August 27, 2015

Was Jesus Stupid?

    "Now that's just stupid!" My dad was reading my family a Bible story about Jesus, when I shouted these words!   As Christians we are taught to have the utmost respect for the teachings of Jesus, but have you ever read or heard something Jesus said or did and disagreed with it? I was about 8 years old the first time this happened to me.
     My dad was reading us the story about when Jesus cursed the fig tree.  If you are not familiar with the story you can read it in Mark 11:12-25.   Jesus was hungry and he walked up to a fig tree but there were no figs on the tree, because it wasn’t the season for figs.  He says “may no one ever eat your fruit again!”  The fig tree then withers up and dies! 
     It was at this point in the story that I shouted "Now that's just stupid!"  This did not receive a positive reaction from my parents.  “How dare you call Jesus, stupid?” My response didn’t really help matters any, “Uh, I’m not calling him stupid, just what he did!” For some reason, my 8 year old brain was more concerned with the poor fig tree than the deeper lesson Jesus was trying to teach his disciples.
     There have been many times that I have had a negative reaction to the words of Jesus.  My next instance was when I heard that he said, “Love your enemies, and if they hit you on the cheek offer them the other one!”  “What, that's just stupid!"  But years later as I watched the movie “The Passion of the Christ,” I watched Jesus live this principle out on a level no other human being ever has.
    Another saying of Jesus, which I have currently had to wrestle with is when he instructed us to “become like little children” to get into the kingdom of heaven.  I have always thought this meant we should have “child-like” faith (aka, naïve.)
     I saw an example of “child-like” faith last night.  I asked my youth group “Why do you believe that the Bible is true?”  I received mostly blank stares until a couple of kids spoke up, “Because the Bible says it’s true!” 
     I quickly tried to show them that their statement was circular reasoning.  But later I realized that this is exactly where my faith started.  I trusted my parents and they said the Bible was true, so I just believed them.  In fact that is where almost all of my information came from when I was little.  My parents said it, so it must be true.
     Upon further examination of what Jesus was trying to teach us in “becoming like little children,” He goes on to say “Anyone who becomes as humble as this little child is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.” 
     The reason why children are teachable is their humility.  They realize they don’t know anything.  On the flip-side of this is the arrogant person who thinks they know everything, they are the ones who are truly stupid! 
     Child-like faith is a great place to start but isn’t where God wants us to stay. Look at Ephesians 4:14 “Then we will no longer be immature like children. We won’t be tossed and blown by every wind of new teaching.  We will not be influenced when people try to trick us with lies so clever they sound like the truth.”  

Foot Note: I also don't think that believing the Bible "because the Bible says its true," will suffice. To read about evidence for the truth of the Bible click here: 
or here:

No comments:

Post a Comment