Wednesday, August 19, 2015

3 Books Every Christian Needs to Read


I love to read.  I believe that my habit of reading regularly has been more impactful on my life than anything else.  Most of the books that I choose to read are based upon other people’s recommendations.  If you are a follower of Christ, (or even if you aren’t) there are 3 books that I would recommend as essential reading.  Disclaimer: I realize there are dozens of books that could have made this list, and many that you think should be on this list.

1.      The “Bible” by God through 40 different writers
I know this one sounds like a no-brainer!  But statistics tell us that 61% of Christians have read the entire Bible.  That means almost 4 out 10 have not.  Essentially these people are saying that they are committing their lives to something that they haven’t taken the time to read for themselves.  I implore you not to read the Bible out of guilt and obligation but out of a deep desire to discover truth.  There are so many resources out there to assist you in getting started on a plan to read the Bible.  I recommend the Bible App  www.bible.com/app
I have found this extremely helpful in making reading God’s word a daily habit.    

2.      “I Don’t Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist” by Norman Geisler and Frank Turek
Being someone who was raised in church since I was a baby, I was taught what to believe but not necessarily why to believe it.  With the exception of “We believe it because the Bible says it.”  This book gives page after page of convincing arguments and evidence for the basics of the Theistic/Christian worldview.  I found it extremely informative and inspiring!

3.      “How To Win Friends And Influence People” by Dale Carnegie    
I know this one may sound a bit odd to make the list.  You may be thinking, “What does this have to do with Christianity?”  The previous books will equip you to understand what you believe, why you believe it, and how to articulate your faith.  But if we don’t have people skills no one will want to listen to anything we have to say.  This book is a classic written in 1936.  The principles he writes about are timeless.  This is one of a handful of books that I have reread multiple times!      

I encourage you to make reading a part of your daily routine.  It has forever enriched my life in more ways than I can count.  I would recommend starting with these three books.  

1 comment:

  1. I personally own“I Don’t Have Enough Faith To Be An Atheist”. I think every high school senior needs to read this or at least know about it before their first year of college.

    ReplyDelete