Thursday, November 17, 2011

I wish I could take that out of the Bible!

     Have you ever been reading the Bible and stumble across a part that you wish you could take out?  I do all the time.  Here are a couple examples: Genesis 6:4 which seems to say that Angels procreated with humans to make a race of Giants.  Weird! I have no idea how to explain that one!  Or the extremely disturbing story in Judges 19-21 of a Benjamite's concubine who gets raped and dies so he cuts up her body into 12 parts and sends them with messengers to the 12 tribes of Israel which then causes a civil war where thousands die.  Yes, that story is actually in the Bible!  
     I guess the other parts of the Bible that I really wish I could edit out are the parts that hit too close to home.  Like for instance I was reading this morning in James 1 "Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy."  What?  How backwards is that?  When trouble comes my way, it is an opportunity for joy.  No, not just joy but great joy?  How is that possible?
     Listen to what he goes onto say: "For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow."  I guess this part makes sense.  Our faith is like a muscle and it only grows when it is challenged or tested.  He says that when our faith is tested our endurance has a chance to grow.  Once again, that doesn't sound like fun at all.
     I don't know about you, but I absolutely hate running (which is probably one of the greatest tests of endurance.)  In fact, I seriously doubt anyone who says they love running.  Think about it.  Have you ever in your life seen a runner with a smile on their face?  The only time they smile is when they finish the race and stop running! 
     Actually, I have a lot of respect for runners.  They have amazing endurance.  Endurance is extremely simple yet unbelievably challenging.  It is simply telling your body to keep going when it is screaming at you to quit.
     James is telling us that Faith is just like running.  Our circumstances and troubles are screaming at us to give up, to throw in the towel, but when we decide to continue to trust God in spite of our troubles our faith gets stronger.  I wish their was an easier way for my faith to grow, but this seems to be the way it works. 
     So like any good coach, I am challenging you today to refuse to give up, to keep on believing regardless of the opposition you may face.  Listen to what else James has to say: "So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing." 

1 comment:

  1. James 1 "Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy." Wow Brother Brad what a great word that is.

    It is a honor when you wake up, and satan is at your doorsteps. Why? Because if satan doesn't see me as a threat to him... then am I doing my job and living for Christ? I want satan to see me as a threat, because that means I am reflecting Christ in all that I do. I don't want to be luke warm, but on fire for Christ Jesus.
    Galatians 2:20 "My old self has been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."
    Galatians 6:24-25," Those who belong to Christ Jesus have nailed the passions and desires of their sinful nature to his cross and crucified them there. Since we are living by the Spirit, let us follow the Spirit’s leading in every part of our lives."
    I am reminded of Paul when he writes to the Philippians. He used the word joy or rejoice 16 times in Philippians. For Paul was imprisoned in Rome, and he still rejoiced in the Lord. True joy comes from trusting in the Lord. It will help us overcome anything that satan throws at us. For all our joy is the spreading of the Good News.
    Act 20:24, " But my life is worth nothing to me unless I use it for finishing the work assigned me by the Lord Jesus. The work of telling others the Good News about the wonderful grace of God."
    Doesn't matter what is happening in our lives. Make every place and trial you are in an opportunity that is pleasing to God. Paul did when he was in prison. He had the privilege to preach to all the prison guards assigned to him, and much more.
    It is plain and simple. If satan doesn't see me as a threat then I am not doing my job right.
    ~Kelton Sparky
    (I know this is unorganized, but it i still eligible to read)

    ReplyDelete